Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
05 nissan altima diagnostic code Forums > > 05 nissan altima diagnostic code 05 nissan altima diagnostic code
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 01-06-2010, 10:49 AM
michelle15214

Thumbs down 05 nissan altima diagnostic code

I was informed today that I have a diagnostice code p0420 - catalyst efficiency below threshold (bank 1)...can someone explain to me exactly what this defines..went to shop and told I need to replace catalytic converter and two o2 sensors...is this true? if so, will it remedy problem...thanks for any assistance
Old 01-06-2010, 01:46 PM
05 2.5 alt dawg

How many miles do you have on your altima? Cat Converter is covered for 80,000 miles. Mine went out at 80,379. Bad cats seem to be pretty common for these altimas.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:32 PM
michelle15214

I'm actually at 115,000 and some change... I guess by your reply the converter will need replaced...I have an estimate for $815.00 which includes converter two 02 sensors and labor...thanks for replying

Last edited by michelle15214; 01-06-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:31 PM
05 2.5 alt dawg

Your estimate sounds reasonable. Around 600 for parts and 2 or 3 hrs labor. Happy new year!!
Old 01-13-2010, 06:06 PM
nisaltima

p0420(bank 1) which cat is this? Have same code in my Altima which has 115K miles. Can do the work myself just not sure which one it is. Is it the one attached to exhaust manifold or the one more towards the rear?
Old 01-14-2010, 02:49 AM
05 2.5 alt dawg

I think bank 1 is the one in the exhaust manifold. A lot of altima owners have had problems with this part. I just replaced mine 2 weeks ago. I replaced the stock manifold with cat with an after market header without a cat and a spark plug non fouler on the 2nd oxygen sensor to trick the ECM and turn off the SEL light. Total cost was $150 vs. $600 at the shop. Other than the heat shields, the only part you have to remove to get to all the manifold bolts is the alternator.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:09 AM
nisaltima

Thanks alt dawg! I was thinking about that but I live in Texas and we have yearly inspections, which include emissions. Doing this would my car still pass inspections? It still has the other cat farther down the exhaust. And I'm not sure if they do visual inspectios here in Texas like they do in California. May have to stop by an inspection place and ask a few questions. Also the 2nd oxygen sensor is this the one under the car or one attached in the manifold? Thanks again
Old 01-14-2010, 08:40 AM
nisaltima

Sorry...one more question. Going with aftermarket header how much change in exhaust noise did you notice? How much louder was it?
Old 01-14-2010, 12:21 PM
ardenmann

It's "illegal" to tamper with emission control device
Old 01-14-2010, 01:36 PM
05 2.5 alt dawg

It's not much louder but the pitch sounds different. My car runs better(quicker throttle response). I definately would not recommend removing the cat if you have to do emissions testing. But there are some aftermarket manifolds with a cat that are cheaper( i think I saw one for about 250) than the OEM part and its not a hard part to replace. With all the people I've heard talking about this part going bad, there was no way I was going to put a new defective Nissan part to replace an old defective Nissan part.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:49 PM
clutchknight

i am in texas as well and i am getting an new pre cat in about an hr, and will be changing it myself tomorrow morning. bankston nissan has it for $409.48

Tags
altima, code, diagnostic, nissan