Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Slow clanking sound from lower body Forums > > Slow clanking sound from lower body Slow clanking sound from lower body
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 09-27-2009, 10:59 PM
kklwin

Exclamation Slow clanking sound from lower body

Hi all.
Mine is 2007 Altima 2.5S and done 63k KM. There is always a slow but continuous and strong metal clanking sound from lower body when I stop and park after a few KM drives. I guess it is coming from Exhaust system but I am not sure it is normal or need to check something. Has anyone experienced such kind of noise? Any suggestions you can provide me would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by kklwin; 09-28-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:31 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima

Sounds like your exhaust system cooling. If it only happens once the car is fully warmed up and shut off, but not when you start, idle 30s and shutoff, then that's a good sign that's it's a thermal issue and not some electro-mechanical issue with your engine. If you really want to be sure, disconnect the battery while the clanking is occurring...if it doesn't affect it then it's 100% stored thermal energy dissipating (and not one of the myriad collection of solenoids and relays in your car).

Mostly I'd say 'annoying but harmless'.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

I agree it is the cool down effect of the exhaust system components. Not to worry.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:22 AM
kklwin

I really appreciate your help. I am happy now. As far as I can remember, I've never had that clanking sound in my previous cars. But this is my first Altima and I don't know if it is common in Altima.
Many Thanks.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:56 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima

It's almost certainly the thin heatshield that's placed around the actual exhaust pipe. You can probably eliminate the noise by having the heatshield removed...up here they corrode off in 3-4 years anyways.

Tags
exhaust, lower body, metal clanking, sound