Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
'95 Altima lash shimming Forums > > '95 Altima lash shimming '95 Altima lash shimming
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 01-06-2016, 01:48 PM

1995 Altima GXE

Default '95 Altima lash shimming

Tried to replace a shim all day with no luck so today I worked on the bench with an old warped head. After a few failures what I have working on the bench is this: take an old bucket, put on shim, put another bucket on top and lining up the notches one can see the shim has play; I cut off a bucket bottom and cut out most of the center disk. Then, cutting it almost in half, taking the bigger piece, maybe 185°, I cut its height to slip into and onto a compressed bucket, valve open, then pushed it until the open end was toward the inside of the head, then rotated the engine bring the lobe up. Now the ring was holding bucket down, the ring wedged under the cam. A scribe into the notch freed the shim and it was easily removed and replaced - on the bench. Bottom seems better because leaving some of the disk toward the back helps keep the half ring from expanding and slipping allowing the bucket to rise inside. It may be good enough to simply make the entire height so any edge can slip between a bucket cylinder top and the cam. Fighting for a little extra space with a non-flat top to the ring may have been time and effort wasted. At 185° half ring one needs to tweak, grind, the ends to get the shim to slip out or it will hold it in. Removing the ring, rotate the engine/cam so the lobe passes in/out the half ring opening or the half ring will conflict with the lobe.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:06 PM

1995 Altima GXE

Running into a glitch. Maybe I didn't get the shim under the back edge that I had left in place. When I rotated the cam/engine to press it down so as to remove the half ring, the half ring dropped too. Now I have it up and trying to remove the new shim but it seems stuck. I probably should have tested the new shim in the half ring before starting.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:28 PM

1995 Altima GXE

No. The half ring in place I rotated the lobe up but had to repeat to get the bucket notch in position. The second time the old shim came out easily and the new slipped in just as easily. I rotated the lobe up but saw what looked like the half ring still down. It was. When I put the half ring in I positioned it so when pressed down the shim would have room and it did but in the removal I needed to shift the half ring to a better position because the remainder of what I hadn't removed from the center, adding strength so the half ring wouldn't expand, was hitting the cam. I had to put lobe down again, shift the ring for most room at removal, then put lobe up and half ring came out. Shim changed.

Tags
altima, lash, shimming