Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
'03 Altima Power Blackout? Forums > > '03 Altima Power Blackout? '03 Altima Power Blackout?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 04-13-2009, 06:21 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima

Default '03 Altima Power Blackout?

Last year at this time I had my '03 SE detailed. Unfortunately, I couldn't pick it up before closing, so I paid over the phone and had them lock the keys in the car. I picked it up later that day...unfortunately the temp had gone back down below zero by then...

The inside of the car had a solid misting of condensation on all windows. It started fine, and I drove off. It was near dusk, so I went to turn on the headlights...nothing. Heater is blasting away (I think, or I wouldn't have been able to drive), but no turn signals... No Radio. No horn. No dashlights. Made it home without incident (the brake lights still worked). Checked all interior fuses, engine fuse links, opened IPDM...no sign of anything amiss.

Started up again next morning...same issues. Drove around the detailer...sure enough a lowered, tricked out, tinted to death version of my car is parked around the side. Hmmm I think. Drove to my dealer and called the detailer to tell them what had happened. To their credit they were pretty responsive and said they'd work with the dealer to find out what was wrong.

Got a call later that afternoon saying my car was ready for pickup...no fault found. It's been fine ever since...but I'm still curious to know if condensation could have caused something like that, or did some module or other get quietly swapped back in?

As I understand it, the circuits that failed would have been controlled by the IPDM...but there was no sign of obvious tampering, before or after. Also, being in the engine compartment, I can't believe a little steam cleaning would have affected it.

Thoughts and speculation welcomed.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
or did some module or other get quietly swapped back in?
No, who was going to pay for the module?

What I have seen is that sometimes the body control module (BCM) goes into a fail safe and to resetted you just have to disconnect the car battery for a few minutes.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima

Somebody else was gonna pay...one way or the other. Thanks for the BCM tip, kinda reminds me of the Microsoft fix (aka Ctrl-Alt-Del)

Tags
altima, blackout, power