Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
CVT fluid capacity Forums > > CVT fluid capacity CVT fluid capacity
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 03-30-2009, 06:41 AM
ccmills

Default CVT fluid capacity

I am planning on just doing a drain and refill on my 08 altima CVT and was wondering if someone could tell me how much fluid I would need for just a drain and refill, not total capacity. With the price of the oil I don't want to buy much more than needed.

thanks,
Cory
Old 03-30-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2007 Altima
2008 Versa

Just curious as to why you feel the need to drain and refill on a relatively new vehicle?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:15 AM
ccmills

my manual says to change it at 60,000 miles, I have 40,000 on mine now so I figure I might just do a drain and refill a little early instead of waiting until 60,000 and paying the extra expense at the dealer to do a complete flush, although you are probably right, do to the fact it probably doesn't really need it. I have heard people say to wait until 100,000 and then change it, so who knows. I'll probably try and trade it before the 7yr/100,000 mile warranty is up anyway,( although the way my finances are right now I might have it for quite a while) but hopefully if I take care of it the next guy won't have to deal with problems caused by my negligence.

Cory
Old 03-30-2009, 02:37 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmills View Post
my manual says to change it at 60,000 miles, I have 40,000 on mine now so I figure I might just do a drain and refill a little early instead of waiting until 60,000 and paying the extra expense at the dealer to do a complete flush, although you are probably right, do to the fact it probably doesn't really need it. I have heard people say to wait until 100,000 and then change it, so who knows. I'll probably try and trade it before the 7yr/100,000 mile warranty is up anyway,( although the way my finances are right now I might have it for quite a while) but hopefully if I take care of it the next guy won't have to deal with problems caused by my negligence.

Cory
I would do it at 60,000 miles. It takes about 5.5 qts for a drain and fill.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:46 PM
ccmills

If you don't think 60,000 is to long for just a drain and refill then that sounds good to me.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:27 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Just make sure you use nissan trans fluid just for CVT transmissions!
Old 03-31-2009, 12:09 PM
ccmills

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech22 View Post
Just make sure you use nissan trans fluid just for CVT transmissions!
yeah, I already have a quart of the NS-2 fluid, but a good point, because I'm sure there are a few people who might not know that it takes a different fluid then a regular automatic.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:18 AM
quikstep1

Default 08 Altima CVT fluid color

My 08 Altima started jerking and had a slight hesitation on take off,plus I could hear a high pitched whinning sound at 60+ MPH. So I took it into my Nissan dealer. They looked at the trans fluid and reported to me that it had,had the wrong type of fluid added because it's supposed to be green. They said mine looked reddish. I saw it and it looked more clearish brown color to me.A sample was taken and saved. The car has just over 30K on it. The dealer said it would void my warranty. They changed the fluid and now for the past few hundred miles it seems to be fine,but the dealer said it might still go out and a replacement is $7000.00.
I had a fender bender in it a year ago and the body shop replaced the trans cooler,they have records showing they replaced 1/2 of a quart of Nissan CVT fluid . Other than that only Nissan has done the maintance on the car and several times since the accident.
I think the transmission might have burned the fluid to cause it to change colors. Has anyone had a similar experience
Old 08-05-2010, 03:44 PM
altima20008

Default Transmission problem

Hey there!

Yes i had exactly the same problem with my 08 altima at 50K kilometers. it started making humming sound when the car would roll at any speed.. At high speed i wudnt notice the sound becus of the car sound anyway.

They checked my cvt oil and said tht someone repaired the car outside because the oil color is different than wt normally they use on cvt gearbox. They are nutz. I told them how come, when ive been servicing my car at your every 5000 kilometers.

I screamed my lungs at them and threatened them to file a law suit.. and then they repaired it under warranty :D

but before i yelled at them, they refused to fix it under warranty.

My friend who has his own garage told me that if by changing the cvt oil, the sound goes away, then it wont come back... but if it doesnt go away by changing the oil, then u need to change the transmission..

In my case they changed the oil first and the sound didnt go and then they changed the whole assembly.. :D

so yeah, i suggest u file a law suit :D

good luck!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:20 AM
2008 Altima Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
I would do it at 60,000 miles. It takes about 5.5 qts for a drain and fill.

Does the eCVT in the NAH have the same capacity - 5.5qts for a drain/fill? What is the total capacity (i.e: what remains after the drain?)
Old 03-04-2011, 09:50 AM
2008 Altima Hybrid

Anyone? Buehler?
Old 11-29-2015, 05:14 AM
2008 Altima

Thumbs down

I have footage of the owner's manual from a 2008 Altima here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JByqE-CSU4 and it doesn't even list the capacity for CVT's! Mine took 7 quarts of Valvoline brand CVT fluid (listed as NS-2 compatible). I loosened the CVT casing's bottom pan and let the old and dark CVT fluid gush out. I still don't know what the official total capacity is. Yes, I drove the car around afterwards. The only noticeable change was that the slight whining from the tranny during "manumatic" shifting is now gone.

Last edited by KlubMarcus; 11-29-2015 at 05:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-02-2015, 04:21 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephraim View Post
Does the eCVT in the NAH have the same capacity - 5.5qts for a drain/fill? What is the total capacity (i.e: what remains after the drain?)
Different capacity and fluid on the hybrid.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:40 AM
2005 Altima Sedan

I just drained about 5 qts out of my 2005 Altima with 115K mile and used the Valvoline ATF ( it does say for D Matic on the label) . I might of over filled it a bit but have siphoned some out and will keep checking the level. I don't think it's ever been done on this car. The old fluid was a darker shade of red but not the candy apple red of new fluid. The car seems a little more eager to downshift on freeway on ramps. The drain plug is a 19 mm- you could also use a SAE 3/4" socket. I couldn't find the size anywhere prior to getting in under to remove the plug. i put a couple patio pavers under the drivers side tire to get me the clearance I need to get in under and got an extra 3 inches of space- just enough. I hope this helps someone else looking to do this.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:38 PM
2008 Altima Sedan

My 08 Altima does not have drain plug at the bottom of the pan. It has a drain plug on the side of transmission which is much higher than pan. Hence i was able drain out ~2.2 quarts only. Make sure your car has drain plug at the bottom else you want be able to drain 5 qts as others have stated.

Tags
capacity, cvt, fluid