Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
05 Altima, service myself Forums > > 05 Altima, service myself 05 Altima, service myself
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 03-30-2009, 09:11 AM
sgriffi81

Default 05 Altima, service myself

difficulty starting car one afternoon, started i made it home and cleared corrosion from the battery terminal. Since then check engine light has been on and my trans kicks a little. Advanced auto checked out he code to be "speed sensor" or "crankshaft position sensor" I want to replace the speed sensor and flush and refill the trans fluid myself (cut back on costs).

Need some help what manual should i be looking at to find speed sensor location?

any advice?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

speed sensor is on the axle i believe and the crankshaft one is probably why the car may not start. since u have the codes check out the Engine Control section of the service manual http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowl....html?catid=83

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate

Last edited by sergey85; 03-30-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:05 AM
lpenix

Sgr the speed sensor is on the back of the motor next to the cranksensor, i have the o5 also, and my trany was kicking also, with it putting out both codes also. once i replaced both the tranny is smooth as before. there are two speed sensors, but if the crank sensor and speed sensor codes are together, it is probally the engine sensor, they will be able to tell you at auto zone, they scanned my car, and the computer told them what sensor to replace. i told them that there was two speed sensors. but the computer knows which one it is. and it is a funky looking thing, reminded me of those erection sets. SGR it is hard to get to, stand at the side of the car, on the drivers side, both sensors are on the back of the motor next to firewall. they are out twards the edge, and i had to go down below my elbow to reach them. PS little trick, there is a suction that dont want to let go of those sensors, if you take off the oil cap they will slide right out. i remember i pulled and pulled on that dang thing, and it did not want to move. after i took off the oil cap it popped out with no effort.

Last edited by lpenix; 03-31-2009 at 05:10 AM. Reason: update
Old 03-31-2009, 07:32 AM
sgriffi81

Thanks for the info, i'm going to try this weekend to find the sensors and get the parts

How about the CAMshaft sensor, the guy at the dealer mentioned on the phone that they change it with the crankshaft sensor.
Same general area?
even needed ?

i'll let you know how i do

Last edited by sgriffi81; 03-31-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:09 AM
sgriffi81

Tried to look myself, but i'm gonna purchase a haynes book to help me find these sensors. No harm in an extra $25 spent
Old 04-01-2009, 02:17 PM
lpenix

wait dude , listen they have the manuals here, and the cam sensor is way easy to get to it is on the side of the motor, if you download the service manual lets see it is the engine control or engine mech, you can download 2 manuals a day. it will show you where the sensor is located. the cam is kind of under the maf hose that goes to the motor, i remember it was in myway when i changed mine. the cam, and crank use the same type of sensor. i thought the shop made a mistake, but they are the same. you can see the sensor well the outside and how it looks, it is the only one that looks like that. so it is not hard to spot, just in a tight spot. i hope you get this before you spend 25 bucks. here is the link for the 2005 altima Knowledgebase - 2005 Altima - Nissanhelp.com
Old 04-07-2009, 10:48 AM
sgriffi81

Thanks for the reply, i have not purchased anything yet. I'm going thru the ECM manuel and i can't find a diagram. I'll keep searching.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:10 AM
sgriffi81

I still can't find a diagram pointing me to the right location. Looking down and behind the engine and i can't see anything. Maybe i'll have better luck lifting the car and going from under it.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:40 AM
lpenix

in the EC engine control manual it is on page 284, camshaft sensor. now looking at the diagram, that is the view, if you are standing on the side of the car of the drivers side looking at the engine you can actually see the sensor , when you look for it it is the only sensor in the area that looks like the outside of the sensor, the loop at the bottom of the sensor is under the sensor, so it is tricky to spot but once you do, you will be like why did i not see that.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:35 PM
sgriffi81

I'm sorry i don't understand is the speed sensor below the cam shaft position sensor? This diagram only points out the cam shaft sensor.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:36 AM
lpenix

oh sorry dude i thought you were only looking for the cam sensor, my bad, while you are standing in the same area, the speed, and the crank sensor are on the back of the motor, reach down between the motor, and the firewall, and they are down there, i went a little past my elbow to find them they are sorta twards the edge of the motor, now you cant see them so you will have to feel for them, if you can put your car on a rack they might be easier for you to get to
Old 04-11-2009, 08:29 AM
sgriffi81

I found it thanks for all the help. Once i saw it back there a i can't believe i was missing it for so long.

FYI, no more check engine light and trans doesn't kick as much (may need fluid changed) I dug in up to my shoulder to get to it, i'm only 5'8. Ha

Dealership = $250 minimum
Replace myself $49

thanks again for all your help dude.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:17 PM
sgriffi81

I have to edit myself, after 30 min of driving the engine light came back on. stopped at an autozone and the codes are for the speed sensor (just replaced) and crankshaft sensor. But they are both pending, the guy at the store said after some time a "pending" code will clear itself if the correct part has been replaced.

We can only hope, if after a few days its not i'll replace the crankshaft sensor.
tranny does seem smother now that the speed sensor is replaced.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:37 PM
sgriffi81

Got the crankshaft sensor....but can't find where it is to replace it. Let me know if you can help. can i get to it from atop the car? or do i need to go under the car.

thanks again for all the help
Old 04-16-2009, 05:52 AM
lpenix

i was told it takes about 100 or more miles to read right after the reset. when you change the crank sensor reset the SES light and after more than 100 miles if it stays off the all fixed. the crank sensor is in the same area as the engine speed sensor. it should be next to the motor mount.and i think the speed, and crank are kinda intertwined thats what the nissan tech said, he told me that those are the most common to go bad on this car.so i think if you replace the crank sensor everything will be fine.

Last edited by lpenix; 04-16-2009 at 06:06 AM. Reason: add

Tags
altima, service