Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
cabin filter 2008 Nissan Altima Forums > > cabin filter 2008 Nissan Altima cabin filter 2008 Nissan Altima
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 05-20-2011, 09:21 PM
newmechanic

Default cabin filter 2008 Nissan Altima

Hello all. I have an '08 altima coupe. I am trying to save a few bucks and thought how hard can it be to replace the in-cabin air filter?? Well, I have successfully disassembled the glove box and stuck my head in there and looked and looked and cannot seem to locate the tab of the filter. Any very specific details would be much appreciated.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Instructions here: 2007-2011 Nissan Altima In Cabin Micro Filter Replacement Procedure
Old 07-25-2012, 07:19 PM
2008 Altima

Thumbs down Must be morons at Nissan!

I followed the procedure at 2007-2011 Nissan Altima Sedan/Coupe Glove Box Removal Procedure | Nissanhelp.com and realized that Nissan engineers and/or management must be morons. The cabin air filter opening is located at the bottom of the dashboard and behind the glove box. The OEM and aftermarket cabin air filter is flimsy because the opening isn't full size. So both the old and new filter are squeezed in/out and you can't be totally sure that everything fits perfect because you can't see anything. You have to unscrew the glovebox in order to do the work properly, and you have to disconnect wiring.

I replaced the Nissan brand cabin air filter with a Wix 24400. It's cheap, Made in China, and the box reads like a bunch of marketing BS. But it was the only one available at the local O'Reilly Auto Parts. Looks, feels, and fits like the lousy OEM filter.

I have an old Volvo and it's so much simpler to replace the cabin air filter: open hood, remove three screws to raise the rain guard, replace filter, reverse steps. The Volvo OEM cabin air filter has a solid frame and thick pleats.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlubMarcus View Post
I followed the procedure at 2007-2011 Nissan Altima Sedan/Coupe Glove Box Removal Procedure | Nissanhelp.com and realized that Nissan engineers and/or management must be morons. The cabin air filter opening is located at the bottom of the dashboard and behind the glove box. The OEM and aftermarket cabin air filter is flimsy because the opening isn't full size. So both the old and new filter are squeezed in/out and you can't be totally sure that everything fits perfect because you can't see anything. You have to unscrew the glovebox in order to do the work properly, and you have to disconnect wiring.

I replaced the Nissan brand cabin air filter with a Wix 24400. It's cheap, Made in China, and the box reads like a bunch of marketing BS. But it was the only one available at the local O'Reilly Auto Parts. Looks, feels, and fits like the lousy OEM filter.

I have an old Volvo and it's so much simpler to replace the cabin air filter: open hood, remove three screws to raise the rain guard, replace filter, reverse steps. The Volvo OEM cabin air filter has a solid frame and thick pleats.
Good point. The filter are difficult to replaced and if not installed properly the filter can cause noise.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:48 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2007 Altima
2008 Versa

You don't need to remove the glove box. You just need to be a contortionist. I replaced mine myself, but it involves a little upside down crawling. Still better than paying the dealer $100 to do it.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:17 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Xterra
2006 Altima
2005 Xterra

We replace them at Sears with an oil change for the price Of the filter
Old 07-31-2012, 06:50 PM
2008 Altima

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
Good point. The filter are difficult to replaced and if not installed properly the filter can cause noise.
I'm glad I did it because the old cabin air filter was disgusting. My sweetheart gave me cool points.

Last edited by KlubMarcus; 07-31-2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-18-2013, 03:17 PM
2011 Altima

I just installed a cabin filter in my 2011 Altima. Many thanks to the people who gave advice. In addition: the 2011 has two more screws to take out (in the owner's manual holder;) Also the door side trim has to be popped before removing the glove box. In addition the air filter door cannot be seen clearly because a heater vent gets in the way. I had to cut down the rigid end of my aftermarket filter to get it in the drawer. What a mess! Almost worth the dealer price to install.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:20 PM

2002 Altima

Just takes some time and patience.

08 Coupe FS: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SE-V6...orcev4exp=true

Last edited by atikovi; 02-20-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2007 Altima
2008 Versa

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
Just takes some time and patience.
And some contortionist gymnastics (speaking from experience).
Old 09-27-2015, 08:32 AM
2008 Altima

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveatl View Post
And some contortionist gymnastics (speaking from experience).
I was on my hands and knees, in a bad way! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPZPIaTjd-c

Tags
2008, altima, cabin, filter, nissan