Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Transmission Service: To Flush or Not? Forums > > Transmission Service: To Flush or Not? Transmission Service: To Flush or Not?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 02-19-2009, 06:22 AM
buckeye3.5L

Default Transmission Service: To Flush or Not?

2005 Altima, 3.5L...about 98,000 miles. Fluid isn't black but turning a nice transparent brown.....With that many miles. is a transmission flush OK...talked with the dealer and they said 159.00....figured I have them do it instead of a local Firestone or NTB....just to be sure correct fluid etc was used.....If a tech. is out there, need some common sense advice!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Do not flush, just service the fluid. I have seen many vehicles with transmission problems after doing a flush

Last edited by NissanTech; 02-19-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye3.5L View Post
2005 Altima, 3.5L...about 98,000 miles. Fluid isn't black but turning a nice transparent brown.....With that many miles. is a transmission flush OK...talked with the dealer and they said 159.00....figured I have them do it instead of a local Firestone or NTB....just to be sure correct fluid etc was used.....If a tech. is out there, need some common sense advice!
You need a Transmission Fluid Change not " flush". Nissan does not recommend "flushing" the transmission with a machine, your best bet is to drain out the old fluid and re-supply it with fresh new fluid. I made the mistake of flushing my tranny with a machine and started experiencing shifting problems, $400 to repair the damage. $159 is on the costly side, many private mechanics would do the job for half that, but i guess you get peace of mind knowing you have the correct fluid in your car.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkid667 View Post
You need a Transmission Fluid Change not " flush". Nissan does not recommend "flushing" the transmission with a machine, your best bet is to drain out the old fluid and re-supply it with fresh new fluid.
Exactly ... and if you want to ensure the fluid stays pretty fresh then just change it once every year or 2 since you can never get all the old fluid out with just a change.

Last edited by Altima SSS; 02-19-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:37 AM
buckeye3.5L

Default Geez...Did I make a mistake?

Just came back from Germain Nissan, the biggest dealer in our area, and guess what??? They did a Fluid Exchange,,,,didn't really call it a flush. The guys there seemed pretty up on Nissan's recommended tranny service and indicated that here system shouldn't cause any problems. Now I'm crossing my fingers, at least the fluid is now back to being that pretty
pink

By the way they only charged $129.00 which was less than some of the area service centers. They used Nissan tranny fluid.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

It's my understanding that Nissan has now issued a Tbs to the effect that it is now not recommended to do a service flush but do a drain and fill. I to have my fingers crossed after having mine done by a local dealer.Found out they used Max life trans fluid in my trans even after i told them to use nissan j-matic. Well since then i've been doing drain and fills at every second oil change.At $10.00 qt. it get exspensive fast but to date no trans problems.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Tech 22 could you send me this info. I have not see it yet but would be important to me if you can.

I agree with the drain and fill.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Master Enthusiast
05 nissan frontier

I'll see if i can find it.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Master Enthusiast
05 nissan frontier

As close as i can find here is NTB08-049a.Maybe one of the other techs has that info at the ready.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech22 View Post
As close as i can find here is NTB08-049a.Maybe one of the other techs has that info at the ready.
I think your referring to NPSB/07-027 Parts and Service Bulletin, this is the document that Nissan has issued strictly stating that any flush services transmission or engine can damage the vehicle and is not recommend.

Please find this document attached.

Notice that this document also includes statements from Honda, GM and Ford denouncing flush service for engines and transmissions. Nissan statement is on the 3rd page
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Honda+Nissan+GM+Ford+Documents (1).pdf (270.2 KB, 222 views)
Old 02-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Enthusiast
2009 Murano
2007 Maxima
2009 Murano

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
Do not flush, just service the fluid. I have seen many vehicles with transmission problems after doing a flush
These flushing recommendations from service depts. are just a way to inflate prices for basic repairs. Instead of just draining trans fluid like a motor oil change they make it into something that is not needed.
I have also read that fluid discoloration is not a indicator of bad fluid.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:11 AM
Master Enthusiast
05 nissan frontier

Thanks Superkid667 for the correct info. I've since jotted it down in my log book for future use.As for the flushing there seems to be alot of of questions about this. Here is my take on it.For one, most shops can only afford one unit to preform this proceedure.There are so many types of fluid out there that are "run" thru this machine and knowing for a fact that you never use all the fluid in the machine at a single flush that it is going to cause cross contamination of different fluid types.Not a good thing on these new transmissions.I think most techs will agree on this.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:39 AM
buckeye3.5L

Ok,so quick question, Nissan does a memo for not doing these "exchanges", and the dealer who is authorized does it, would a customer have any recourse if something goes wrong. I asked the service writer up front, and mentioned Nissan had indicated not doing them. He indicated depends on mileage and color of fluid. They won't due one if the fluid is black. Does that make sense?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Master Enthusiast
05 nissan frontier

When i worked at the dealership we were told by our shop foreman to check the history of the vehicle and if there was no record of a trans service and the vehicle had over 60,000 miles not to even suggest to the customer to do a trans flush. I'am sure that every shop has a different policy and i would like to think that each would honor there work. I have seen where a flush was done on hi milage cars and the trans did fail shortly after.Was it the fault of the flush? I juess Nissan seems to think so.Bottom line everybody is covering there ass and i would do the same in that keep very good records of names,times and places.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Thanks for the info.

Tags
flush, service, transmission