Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
No heat on Idle Forums > > No heat on Idle No heat on Idle
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 01-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Enthusiast
2002 Altima
2002 Altima

Default No heat on Idle

Can anyone tell me what could be the problem. I have a 2002 altima,cylinder. On idle their is no heat. I contacted a local dealer,but it sounds like they want to take me motor apart. Is their a symple solution that I could check my self.Or what may be my problem?
Old 01-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Altima

Nissan has issued a service bulletin for this problem. 2002 – 2006 ALTIMA; POOR HEATER PERFORMANCE Reference NTB02-047c

The fix is inexpensive and can be done yourself if you have enough confidence. In simple terms, your coolant mixture maybe incorrect or you may need to bleed air bubbles from your cooling system. I assume you get heat when you press on the acceleration pedal, the procedure should not cost you more then $60 with a honest mechanic.

P.S, nothing is wrong with your motor, this is a known issue on altimas

Last edited by superkid667; 01-22-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Air is trapped in the heater core/coolant system.Just have the system bled and that is it . No engine problems.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Enthusiast
2002 Altima
2002 Altima

Thanks for the tips. I will follow up on this when it is completed. Most likely next week. By the way I missed the 4 cylinder part. I am also learning to navigate a bit on this site. I will be reading some of the other comments on Nissan's as time go's on
Old 01-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

You can try to bled the cooling system you will get heat for a little while but chances are either the rad has separated, seal on the rad cap is swollen or the head gasket has failed. Check the oil level as well if it is down it is possibility that the catalyst has separated and has been sucked back in the engine.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:57 AM
aquatect1951

Exclamation Cold Air: NO HEAT

As part of various threads in forums regarding no heated air at idle, I've come across an interesting tidbit. As part of Voluntary Service Campaign ID No. -P5202, the instructions to technicians note the need to use engine coolant refill kit #J-45695 , to "ensure complete filling without air bubbles ("pockets") in the cooling system".....and "it is IMPORTANT thet the cooling system be filled with an accurate mixture of 50% water and 50% coolant and all air bubbles be PURGED FROM THE SYSTEM",...... and see NTB02-047b (2002-2003 Altima: Poor Heater Performance) for additional information on Altima cooling system refill procedures". They also show the equiment as part of an inspection/ rebuild regarding the Power Valve Inspection Campaign. There is something to other suggested fixes to "burp" the coolant system.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:11 PM
buckeye3.5L

Default OK I'm curious

Why do two techs have a completely different takes on this heater problem. Tech 22 always seems to be accurate, so another tech comes on with doom and gloom, one is real easy the other is catastrohic...guess we'll wait for the resolution from the poster.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye3.5L View Post
Why do two techs have a completely different takes on this heater problem. Tech 22 always seems to be accurate, so another tech comes on with doom and gloom, one is real easy the other is catastrohic...guess we'll wait for the resolution from the poster.
Your first clue is your ranking goes up with the number of posts you make...

As for simple to doom and gloom, its a case of optimist vs pragmatist. You have to wonder where that air came from in the first place (in this case)...so yes, bleeding the cooling system will return heat, but for how long? In most cases, it seems to be a head gasket failure that's allowing air into the cooling system where it rises to the highest point...in Altimas that's the heater core.

That said my money is on Tech22 being a long time Nissan mechanic :)
Old 02-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

In my neck of the woods I have seen this to often. I do not mean to bring gloom and doom but only reality from where I stand. I did not go against tech22 I think he is an asset to this forum. But I have bled many Altimas only to have them return with the above problems that I have stated. Do not necessarily apply to this vehicle. I have only added additional information to aid diagnostics for the vehicle owner if the problem reoccurs.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Master Enthusiast
05 nissan frontier

Has anyone pulled the heads from one and could see just where the gasket was blown?I have and have yet to find the point of water entry.Even have used those exspensive hydrocarbon sniffers to try to find any trace of a leak.Thats not to say there was or wasn't a leak but that said most of the time it was just air trapped somewhere (heater core).And no...i was not a machanic, just a senior tech.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

I am not in this forum to determine if my information is better than anyone elses. I merely give advice and info on my experiences.And yes I have pulled heads of these engines and found coolant entry The gasket separates. Tell tale besides no heat, plugs are snow white and sometimes plugs are difficult to remove. I am glad that you are a certified Nissan tech.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Master Enthusiast
05 nissan frontier

Not trying to po anybody just giving my experiences also.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Enthusiast
2002 Altima
2002 Altima

I would like to thank you all for the information. we have had the thermostat out in order to replace it. It was the wrong size.Therefore I did not reply with the results until I solved my problems.There are 2 thermostats on this engine.I went to my Nissan dealer to get the correct thermostat.They put the registration # of my car in to the computer to get the correct part. The first thermostat I bought from a parts dealer. That was a mistake.A lot of work for nothing. I will keep you up to date. Thanks very much.1951 for the last post.
Kind regards
mike
Old 02-20-2009, 02:48 AM
Bama334

Had the same issue after draining and flushing the coolant system. Bled my self and good to go. The altima's a great car.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:28 AM
aquatect1951

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicus View Post
I would like to thank you all for the information. we have had the thermostat out in order to replace it. It was the wrong size.Therefore I did not reply with the results until I solved my problems.There are 2 thermostats on this engine.I went to my Nissan dealer to get the correct thermostat.They put the registration # of my car in to the computer to get the correct part. The first thermostat I bought from a parts dealer. That was a mistake.A lot of work for nothing. I will keep you up to date. Thanks very much.1951 for the last post.
Kind regards
mike

Dominicus,
I have an '05 Altima w/I4 motor and the heater began 2 months ago to drop off heat at prolonged idle (like when spouse runs into store for 1 gal of milk). As you have seen from my reference to the service bulletin on poor heat and proper bleeding of air. I'm aware of this issue as a fix, but wonder how much the 2 thermostats you mentioned cost from the dealer, if you had dealer install them and their charge and/or man-hours for work, and if you did it yourself, how difficult it was. As you have seen on other threads, the thermostat(s), as well as radiator cap, and air bubbles are all implicated in this cold air from heater problem.

Thanks,
Aquatect1951

Tags
heat, idle