Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2006 Altima 2.5 S Hard Starting (ECM Issue?) Forums > > 2006 Altima 2.5 S Hard Starting (ECM Issue?) 2006 Altima 2.5 S Hard Starting (ECM Issue?)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 01-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Arax999

Default 2006 Altima 2.5 S Hard Starting (ECM Issue?)

My girlfriend is having problems with her Altima. It will stall sometimes while driving and it is often hard starting. My imediate thought was the Idle Air Control Motor, however after having a technician diagnose to the problem, he told us that the ECM is shot. He stated that the crankshaft position sensor shorted out, inturn frying the ECM. The codes that he read were: the Idle Air Control Motor and the Crankshaft Postion Sensor. He is a reputable mechanic, however I want to check the forum to make sure this makes sense, before replacing the EMC. It seems like a car this new (though 55k miles) should not be needing a new ECM. Any thoughts?
Old 01-04-2009, 04:27 AM
2015 Rogue

I doubt the ecm is bad. Replace the crank sensor with the updated part from Nissan.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:03 AM
Arax999

Thanks for the advice. Though I hear the Crank Sensor is easy to change, I am not sure where it is located, I may have to take it in for the repair. What are your thoughts on the IAC motor codes? Does this need to be replaced as well? Thanks again...
Old 01-04-2009, 03:53 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arax999 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Though I hear the Crank Sensor is easy to change, I am not sure where it is located, I may have to take it in for the repair. What are your thoughts on the IAC motor codes? Does this need to be replaced as well? Thanks again...
I would start by cleaning the throttle body and performing an idle air volume relearn. Make sure whoever you take the car to installs the updated sensor. The aftermarket is still selling the old ones which are no good and they charge more than the dealer.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:53 PM
sgriffi81

I'm actually gonna do the crankshaft sensor on my own, can you tell me where its located or help me find a diagram. I did the speed sensor without a problem is the crankshaft sensor in the same general area?

part should be arriving in a few days.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:36 PM
sgriffi81

part arrived but still can't find it. I'll keep looking tomorrow and check if anyone else has posted.

thanks
Old 04-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

On the back side of the engine between the fire wall near where the trans bolts to the engine.You should be able to see it from underneath.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:56 AM
sgriffi81

if i'm standing on the driverside of the car reaching into where i found the speed sensor
am i in the right area? do i go deeper?
Old 04-16-2009, 10:41 AM
sgriffi81

Got it. all replaced and started, now we'll see if the check engine light no longer comes on.

2004 Nissan altima 2.5 liter Crankshaft Position Sensor - FixYa

very good instructions for me, really helped out

Tags
2006, altima, ecm, hard, issue, starting