View Single Post

Old 05-31-2007, 04:32 PM
mscott5807

Default NissanTech Rocks

For any 2000 Quest owners - here is a supplement to NissanTech's post after having spent 15hrs going through the whole process

1. Drain the coolant system before starting; once you unbolt the lower manifold, you could get coolant into your intake valves. Also, to even get to the manifold you will be disconnecting about 8-10 different coolant hoses so save the mess ahead of time.
2. Go ahead and buy new intake manifold gaskets ($50) as you will need them for re-assembly. You might consider replacing your spark plugs while you have the manifold off since it is way easier than when the upper & lower manifolds are in place. At the vary least, pull em out and inspect.
3. Pay attention to the 6 injector insulator rings when removing both the fuel rail and the lower intake manifold; they like to stick to the fuel rail or stay lodged in the mainfold. If you lose one, it will be a major hasssle to replace (I could not find any at the local parts store)
4. After removing the lower intake manifold, there is still a section of piping that goes to the thermostat housing that must be removed before you can get to the knock sensor. Loosen the 2 bolts at the T-stat housing, then the piping assembly bolt on the block on the right side (tranny side). For re-assembly, you will need to re-apply gasket sealer on the block before bolting the t-stat housing back down.
5. Before replacing the fuel rail with injectors intact, flip the rail over and give the exit ports of the injectors a good cleaning with mineral spirits and a old tooth brush.
6. Be patient and label all vacuum, EGV, EVAP, coolant hoses as it will help when putting it all back together. Some of the toughest work is re-connecting the tubing & hoses on the back side of the upper manifold - I've never had to do so much work using a mirror to see what I was trying to attach !

Last edited by mscott5807; 07-01-2007 at 06:20 PM.