View Single Post

Old 05-02-2013, 06:08 PM
2002 Sentra
2002 Sentra GXE

Smile Hope I've found the solution

My 2002 Sentra GXE has this exact problem. FINALLY it stalled enough times that the Service Engine Soon light came on. I immediately took it for a diagnostic test and was relieved to find out it was a Mass Air Flow code. Thankfully, I had purchased an after market sensor online for $35 that very same day. This solution was a shot in the dark after reading several forums, but it was a better solution than replacing the throttle body at $600 as suggested by my local Nissan dealership.

With 77k miles, my Sentra is certainly worth spending a few hundred dollars to fix but who doesn't want to save as much money as possible? Anyway, I had the MAF sensor replaced today for an additional $35 in labor, and I can't wait to find out if the problem is currently resolved.

Like the OP, it didn't matter if I was driving or stopped at a light. I also had put premium gas for the last two weeks prior to replacement and the problem only seemed to get worse (probably due to waiting so long). In addition to replacing the sensor today, I also installed a new air filter.

My A/C and heat control is broken at the moment so I'm not sure if using the temperature controls added to the problem.

Time warp back to 6 months ago when I took it to the dealer, this is what happened:

- mechanics couldn't replicate the problem after several test drives
- they adjusted my idle
- they cleaned my fuel injectors
- they cleaned the throttle body

No code was being thrown and I was told to pick it up. As soon as they pulled the car up for me to take, it stalled. Still, no code. At least someone besides me got to witness the problem.

As this seems to be a rampant problem, I will update if any problems arise after this latest "fix". Fingers crossed.

Last edited by tekerrigan; 05-02-2013 at 06:16 PM.