View Single Post

Old 04-11-2013, 01:11 AM
1998 Maxima

Default 1999 Maxima gas poutring out tailpipe

Hello,
I bought a 99 Nissan Maxima 1 month ago.
When I got it the check engine light was on along with the airbag light, battery light, and a couple of other lights on the dashboard but it ran perfectly.
When the ECM module was previously checked on a meter by the previous owner (my brother) it showed as constantly resetting and no codes could be gotten out of it. When I checked the reset screw on the module someone had broken it off.
It still ran fine but I knew I had to fix it to pass smog.
Last week I had to crank it for about 5-10 seconds instead of it starting right away. There was no power and it kept wanting to stall. When I revved it blue smoke was coming out the exhaust. When I walked around back I could SEE it spitting out gas... as in there was already a 3' in diameter puddle after 30 seconds.
By playing with the gas peddle I managed to get it home (3 miles away). During that time it was always on the verge of stalling and in the 3 miles it literally went through a little over 1/2 a tank of gas.

Since then I soldered in a new reset switch on the module and put it back.
After resetting it gas was still coming out the tailpipe (about the same speed as before).

When I tested the module for codes by counting the long and short flashes it gave me 3/4, 7/1, 10/4, and 13/2. Checking on the web I find 3/4 is knock sensor. 7/1 is multiple random cylinder misfires. 13/2 is MAP sensor.

I can not find 10/4 anywhere.
Does anyone know this code?

Could a bad MAP sensor cause the gas to pour out the tailpipe?

I have a blown head gasket?
I checked the oil and it looked fine (no water in it) and it was not low. I check the radiator and it was fine also (nothing missing and it did not look contaminated).

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Paul