Thread: fuel economy
View Single Post

Old 05-13-2007, 09:26 AM
lourdesandbentley@ho

Default fuel economy

I don't know if I'm even in the right place, but here goes anyway.When we first got our x-trail the economy was very good, as promised (30 miles per imperial gallon). However after about 2500 kilometers the mileage started dropping off to where we now get in the 16 to 20 range-very disappointing to say the least but according to nissan is "within acceptable parameters".The dealer always has an excuse: you're driving too slow, it's not broken in yet, it's too cold, driving too fast, you're using the wrong grade of fuel, you're filling it up incosistently,etc. etc. The strange thing is, the faster you go, the better the economy gets. my last 200 mile trip I set the cruise at 135 kph and at times edged towards 150. The economy was 25 mpg!!! For the return trip the cruise was set at 110 kph and the ecomony dropped to 22. The engine in this vehicle has plenty of power and feels like it wants to go much faster than I have desire to go. Is there not some way of translating some of that excess power into fuel economy? I don't usually travel at 135 kph to the grocery store. The dealer claims it is not possible to make that sort of change to the engine management systems and talking to nissan canada is the same as talking to a brick wall. Does anyone out there have any ideas ?