View Single Post

Old 10-18-2012, 07:01 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1995 Maxima
2002 Altima
1997 Maxima GLE

Is you SES light on? If so, what is the code? Is it a misfire? If so, which cylinder? You can swap the coil packs around to see if the problem follows, if it does, then replace the coil pack. My Maxima has 6, the Altima has 4 and it is inevitable that when 1 goes, the rest will soon follow. Recommendations are to replace them all at the same time to minimize this aggravation but most of us don't have the money to do so (at 50+ bucks a piece).

If the problem doesn't follow and the misfire stays on the same cylinder, check the ground wire underneath the battery connected back to the transmission. This seems to be a common point of failure (corrosion, etc), and will cause misfires or melting of coils. From what I've read online, most people report a cylinder 3 misfire and then find a grounding problem; not sure why this is, but cylinder 3 always seems to have the most issues.

I've experienced coils acting up when the weather changed i.e., rainy,cold after working flawlessly during a stable period. Not sure what that has to do with it but your experience is not out of the ordinary.
2012 Altima (daughter - replaced 2002 with 8 miles, now with almost 30,000 miles)