View Single Post

Old 08-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Tech Enthusiast
1995 Maxima
2002 Altima
1997 Maxima GLE

Coolant leaks can be hard to find if it is in fact a coolant leak. You can get the tools from your local parts shop (rental) to determine if you have a coolant leak. Basically it puts the system under pressure and you can hear or maybe see where the leak is. I've had faulty radiator caps leak and since they are right above the fan, the coolant gets dispersed rapidly, especially if it's just a small mist type leak.

However, what I would really be checking first is compression. You can also rent a cylinder compression tool but I've had better luck buying my own from Harbor Freight - guaranteed to work. I tried 3 different ones from the parts house and these are usually trashed - none of them worked.

Check the compression on all cylinders per the book looking for differences between the cylinders. I'm betting on the compression in cylinder 3 to be lower than the other 4 and may be where your coolant is going which would also cause rough starting and rough idle on start up.

Has car ever over heated? Could be Head Gasket or could be something else. Does it use oil? If so, how much? 1 quart between 3500 mile changes or more?
2012 Altima (daughter - replaced 2002 with 8 miles, now with almost 30,000 miles)