View Single Post

Old 07-10-2012, 02:05 PM
2005 Quest

Do have a few questions though, did the new plastic piece overlap the old? And did you leave the bump on the old and cut just above that point?

-I did overlap the old with the new piece. Try to leave on as much as you can on the new, while still able to fit the new thru the access hole. I cut just above the bump on the old, then shoved it down as much as I could. On mine I could still see the bump thru the access hole, so it won't fall far.

How did you cut it? I can't seem to think of an easy way with where it is located.

-I used a small snippers, but be careful because the old guide is likely brittle. Maybe stuff some rag in there to prevent any pieces from falling into the motor. It won't be a clean cut. The new guide will cut much nicer.

Also, did you lift the chain up from the cam sprocket and spin the cam to align it? Or did you hold the camshaft in place and spin the chain over it? Can you actually see the chain with that access cover off?

-The cam covers don't provide much access, unfortunately. You do not see the chain or sprocket at all. You just need to hope that by rotating the crank you will be skipping teeth. You should hear a clunk sound every time it skips...scary I know. Use the template I posted earlier and you'll know for sure that your timing is off.