View Single Post

Old 07-03-2012, 08:13 PM
2003 Maxima
2003 Maxima SE 6spd

@bobflood: funny you should mention that; I'm in Atlanta as well. This maxima (my 4th) had a life up north in DC and NJ prior to my purchase, and I've been paying the consequences ever since.
It's character building. Yeah. That's it.
I now keep on hand a set of M6 taps and fasteners because it's a given that if I have to take something off, Im also going to have to drill out the rusty post left after the head snaps off of the screw that held X part on.
Lesson = learned, and learning, and learning.....
The car itself has pretty low mileage though for an '03; just passed 80k. Not sure about the typical failure mode of a canister, but if it's mileage, then my canister should still be fine. If it's pure age then I guess it could need replacing.
The area I repaired on the canister is on the outside of the plastic housing; the inside of the canister is exactly as it was before, so there should be no breakdown due to the repair. It was only the threads that the two fasteners thread into to hold the valve in place on the canister.
The opening that the valve is inserted into is untouched as well, and the valve is new.
Is the EVAP Purge Volume Controle Valve the one that is in the engine bay on a bracket attached to the drivers side of the Intake manifold? If so, shouldn't they be able to test that pretty easily before recommending replacement?