View Single Post

Old 05-07-2012, 08:45 AM
2006 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspurdy View Post
Our 06 Maxima's transmission gave out at 74,000 miles of normal use. Gave warning signs for about a month, then just gave out and wouldn't go into gear. It went to the dealership as this was the only place that would warranty their work. $3,000 later it has a new (rebuilt) transmission. Now we can't afford to drive the thing for a while! Contacted Nissan (1-800-Nissan1) and filed a claim, but was told they will not assist with the repair cost as we didn't have the car serviced at the dealership before the problem started. Other than oil changes, every time we had work done on this car it was done at the dealership (broken tension arm assembly due to faulty part; air conditioning fix and recharge) I don't know of anyone that takes their vehicle to the dealership to get the oil changed (every time)! Quite simply, their needs to be a recall on these vehicles and I would like to know where and how I get the ball rolling to achieve this. Class action suit, anyone? Between my wife and I, this is about our seventh Nissan/Datsun we have owned. If this isn't taken care of...it will certainly be our last. I don't want to give my hard-earned money to a company that won't own up to it's mistakes or problems.
This was my background with Nissan as well. And those were the first questions they asked me when I called (I am 1000 miles beyond warranty..sheesh).

I got my $4600 estimate for a new transmission last week. I was 1000 miles past my warranty; I called and begged Nissan Warranty for help and they flatly refused. "Did you do ALL of your service at the Nissan dealership?" What the heck should it matter where I get my oil changed??

I don't know much about transmissions but I did research the issue (thank goodness!) before going to the dealership service department. The first diagnosis was "Motor mounts". I asked the service manager if he was sure that's causing the problem, "yes, without a doubt". The same line of b.s. they've told countless others who shelled out $1100 for new motor mounts, only to drive away and realize the issue remained. This is a common theme in lemon reports & posts on automobile self-help websites.

ANYONE & EVERYONE HAVING THESE PROBLEMS WITH YOUR 04-06 NISSAN 5-SPEED TRANSMISSION: report your issue at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ (click on 'Begin online form'). Or call the (NHTSA)National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 1-888-327-4236. The entire process takes 5 minutes. The NHTSA will mandate a recall if enough people describe the safety issues inherent with these transmission problems.