View Single Post

Old 01-16-2012, 03:46 PM
2005 Altima

2005 Altima here with heater issues....
I have read the threads, performed the procedure to remove air bubbles.... no luck.

Symptoms are similar:
1. Warm to cool heated air at idle.... even with temp gauge reading 1/2 and having set off elec cooling fans... AC off.
2. With engine rpm at 2500 parked, you can not sustain holding your hand in front of the vents at max fan and max temp. Plenty of heat!!!!!
3. WHile performing the procedure and massaging the upper radiator hose and poking around under the hood, I discovered the following....

The heater hose coming from the top of the engine (at the upper radiator hose connection) is very hot (cannot hold the hose for any length of time) WHILE THE RETURN HOSE (to the lower radiator hose boss) IS ABSOLUTELY COLD, NOT EVEN WARM. (Work done while 15 F outside). The hoses have plenty of sag in them, and I raised them and squeezed them with no improvement.

It would appear that the water pump, located on the lower hose, has to pull the hot water from the top of the engine, thru the heater core, and downward to the lower engine connection and the lower radiator hose connection.

SO I am thinking (mind you I don't have a repair manual, my girlfriend's car) the water is not circulating through the core. Potential causes:
1. Kinked hoses, plugged hoses (They look good, factory original)
2. The hoses are reversed and that matters for some reason (doubtful, but don't know if there is any check valve for some reason - (passenger side connection is off the upper radiator hose)
3. The heater core is plugged up - coolant looks nice and clean, (may disconnect the heater core hoses at the block and flush with hose in the opposite direction of flow) in an attempt to test for restrictions, debris, but temp valving may interfere (see next item)
4. I don't know if this is the case... in the older vehicles, the temp control was directly connected to a mechanical valve, by a cable, which regulated the throughput of the water flow through the core... can anyone verify a flow restricting valve is used with the 2005 Altima in lieu or outside air mixing???? If so, the valve may be suspect (electric or vacuum controlled). Haven't dived under the dash yet to look for it.... any thoughts????

I need to score some points with the girlfriend, she has a remote starter, but it almost useless under the circumstances. She reports it hasn't worked in ages as best she can recall. Original owner, no major mechanical issues or body work.

Thanks in advance for the thoughtful and well crafted advice.
Tony