View Single Post

Old 01-01-2012, 06:41 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk View Post
thanks for the quick reply. What I did not mention is that the misfire only occurs on a relatively cold start, where the engine misfires for only a few seconds, say 3-6 seconds, then runs fine. Occasionally in the past couple of years, or perhaps frequently, but not always, I found the engine had to be cranked over for quite a few seconds to get it to start. That symptom seems to indicate a weak fuel pump. But it has only been the last few days where I got the code and it stumbles on a cold start. So head gasket is possible too, based on my reading here. When I get time, I will remove spark plugs and check compression. I was thinking I should do a fuel pressure test.
How do I do a fuel pressure test? I have a gauge I once used on my son's ford ranger.
thanks to all for help.
The long crank could be caused by a faulty fuel pressure regulator. After the car sits overnight turn the ignition to the on position for about 20 seconds and then try starting it. It should start normally. Unfortunately the regulator is part of the pump assembly. Nissan came out with a repair kit but it is only a few dollars cheaper than the whole assembly.
Before you do the compression test remove the spark plugs and shine a light into the holes. If the top of the piston in any of the cylinders looks clean then the head gasket is leaking coolant into that cylinder.
ASE Master Certified.

Last edited by mpe235; 01-01-2012 at 06:43 AM.