View Single Post

Old 12-31-2011, 08:04 PM
1999 Maxima
1999 Quest

Thanks for the reply. Just went out and looked at it 12.00a.m. Happy New Year!!! There is only one huge bolt just above the water pump that attaches to the cylinder head which is below where the cylinder head separates from the lower manifold. I also had other mechanics tried to take it off with no results. One tech online refers that due to overheating and poor antifreeze will cause rust and thus cause it to seize. He advises to take a 2 x 4 and hammer onto the wood to make it release. I'm trying to get to the inner thermostat housing which lies under the lower manifold and attaches to the two water pipes. By the way, looking from the top of the timing cover area, all is clear with no bolts around. Been trying for 2 1/2 weeks soaking these lower intake bolts with pb balster, liquid wrench and wd 40 to no end.
Please note that from day one I've personally driven this vehicle with 81K miles now and has never had any heating problems and coolant was changed every two years; until the original thermostat only gave heat at 2K rpm. Careful look at the thermostat (original) identified the problem in that a piece of silicone gasket got stuck in the thermostat not allowing it to close properly.

Last edited by mahendra purai; 12-31-2011 at 08:10 PM.