View Single Post

Old 12-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Scott the Plumber

Default Cam 1 and cam 2 sensors

I have a 2004 Quest SE 3.5L with symptoms that would indicate a Cam 1 and/or 2 sensor failure. I'm a plumber, not a mechanic, and not savvy at auto repair and have already spent a good deal of money with mechanics with no results. The internet provided the diagnostics that I needed regarding the VDC light coming on, loss of power in Drive, good power in Low and "hard to start" issues. I understand this thread is old and may not get an immediate response, but I appreciate any help that is given as I also help others on a plumbing forum.
I believe that I have located the Cam 1 and 2 sensors on the right of the engine, center and rear. The center, right sensor seems easy to access, but the rear, right sensor looks like a challenge. Other internet info recommends the Cam 2 sensor to be changes first, since it is usually the culprit.
My question is: which is the Cam 1 and which is the Cam 2? Above recommendations suggest replacing both as well as the crank position sensor, but I need to be careful with expenses and will replace them as I can afford them.
I could disconnect the air intake to get to the rear sensor and probably reverse action to put it back together, but are there any recommendations before I get involved.
Thanks for any replies.
SWM