View Single Post

Old 11-10-2011, 02:01 PM
2002 Sentra

Default 2002 GXE won't start

I have a 2002 Sentra GXE, manual tranny, with approx 101k miles on it. Recently, I started experiencing hard starts, which then deteriorated into periodic stalls immediately after starting (once stalled, I could always start the car after waiting for 5-30 minutes). Before long, the car started stalling while driving. The last time it did this to me, I managed to (barely) get it home and park it for the night, intending to troubleshoot it the next day. Ever since that evening, the car won't start.

I have tried quite a few things so far to try and pinpoint the cause, to no avail:
1 - new plugs
2 - new crank sensor
3 - new cam sensor
4 - checked for spark -- NONE
5 - checked for injector pulse (w/screwdriver to ear) -- NONE
6 - did NOT do fuel pressure test, but clearly smelled fuel while cranking
7 - sent ECM to (seemingly reputable) repair/rebuild company in FL (they said they could find no errors on any of the circuits
*Note: SES light DOES come on
8 - read several forums here at nissanhelp.com and checked for various voltages: i am getting 12v at coils w/IGN ON; however, i don't get any voltage readings at the ECM harness on terminal #31 (ECM relay) or terminal #67 (Power supply (backup) - whatever THAT is)

my main questions at this point are:
1 - if the ECM relay is bad (not sure it is, maybe i checked it improperly?), would i still be getting 12v to the G/W wires at the coils?
2 - where is the ECM relay located?
3 - is there a "spare" or duplicate relay somewhere in the engine compartment that i can temporarily swap with the ECM relay as a test?
4 - am i missing something more obvious here????

one request: i am just your average DIY mechanic & not an electrical wizard by any stretch, so if anybody thinks i should retry some stuff that i've already tried, by all means suggest that! also, if you're referencing fuses, relays, wires & the like, please be as specific as possible about location, coloring, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help you folks can provide!!!!