View Single Post

Old 10-12-2011, 01:50 PM
woodysgirl92910

Default Code P0300 2009 Sentra - HELP, please

I know next to nothing about cars (yes, I am a girl...LOL) This weekend the service engine light came on in the car - steady, never blinking. I had just gassed up the tank. I pulled out the manual and read it could be the gas cap. I pulled over, re-tightened the cap and continued driving-the manual said if that was the issue, the light would eventually go off.

Well, the engine light stayed on. I went to the dealer today and they indicated a code P0300, for multi cylinder misfires (greek to me), then they told me there would be a $260 charge to pull the intake stuff off and look at it, but that from their opinion, the engine would need to be replaced ($6500) and that it was because they assumed failure to get regular oil changes.

I have gotten pretty regular oil changes on the vehicle (has 58,000 miles on it, 2 years old) but since I failed to keep all of my receipts, they will not fix the problem - which should still be under the 5year/100k warranty I have.

Plus, I have NO failure to start issues/rough start, no idling issues, no apparent pick-up/acceleration issues. NO rotten egg smell either.

So, now that you have a bit of background - time for questions.

1) From what I have read, the code is pretty generic (and doesnt really identify a specific problem) but fixes seem to be spark plugs or catalytic converter replacement? Is that correct? What is the least expensive way to figure out what is wrong?

2) What are the dangers of driving the car, since I don't have $6500 to spare?

3) Any suggestions?

Thanks!