View Single Post

Old 09-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Pathfinder
2001 Sentra

af3683,
I just performed the 60K service on my 2001 pathy about 2 months ago. For the transmission, I would highly recommend doing a full fluid exchange instead of a drain and fill. The ATF pan and transmission housing takes 9 qts in total. If you drain and fill, you will be replacing only 1/3 of the old ATF. Most of the old ATF will be still in your truck.

You can do a full fluid exchange by disconnecting the driver side transmission cooler hose and aiming it into a bucket. Drain the pan first from the drain bolt. Plug it back, pour in fresh ATF to the fill mark, start the engine and instantaneously start pouring in fresh ATF into the ATF filler. Remember to add it as fast as it is pumping out. This is a 2 person job actually. I had to stop the engine once to prevent the ATF oil pan from running dry. After 9 quarts or so, reconnect the hoses and check ATF fluid level.

You may also want to consider dropping the ATF pan, but I would also inspect and or change the ATF filter every 60-90K miles. I usually flush and every other ATF change, drop the pan to inspect the filter.

The transfer case uses ATF (matic-D). I only managed to drain about 2 qts although the manual says its capacity is 3-1/8 qts. I just filled it back up to the mark and moved on.

The front and rear differential will take about 4-3/4 qts. I bought 5 qts of Mobil 1, had about 1/4 qt left over. Remember to clean the magnets on the drain plug before reinstalling.

Last edited by sawdusted; 09-14-2011 at 06:26 PM.