View Single Post

Old 09-14-2011, 06:22 AM
2002 Pathfinder
2002 Pathfinder

The sticker on the rear differential is orange and is visible when you look under from behind. If you use the Mobil 1 it will not matter -- as it is fine for both differentials. GL-5 is the minimum specification: You will see most gear oil meets this but not all will work on LS differentials without additive -- the Mobil 1 will.

The transfer case is a separate -- I believe it uses the same setup as the differentials two internal plugs. I don't have a way to check right now -- one of the Nissan forums has all the maintenance information available for download -- so you could check on the plugs. The dealer can also tell you. I think the dealer charges about $10.00 for the ATF.

I always replace the crush rings -- the one for the transmission is a little different then most -- they are about 50 cents each. Why do it and have a leak!

The Matic D is smelly stuff -- must be partial or full synthetic.

You should be good to go with your fluid choice. I will mention that one of mine took more differential fluid ?? -- so it my be wise to get an extra Mobil 1 and tell your mechanic not to open it unless he need it (some guys open all the bottles before they start) -- that way you can take it back. I was fine with the six quarts of Matic D on both.

I forgot to mention I also did my belts at the same time -- cost for the two OE nissan belts from the online dealer was less than Pep Boys.

Good luck