View Single Post

Old 09-14-2011, 12:13 AM
2002 Pathfinder
2002 Pathfinder

I recently had both of my 02 LE's done. The LE has the auto transfer case that uses ATF. I was able to pick up a case (12) of the Nissan Matic D fluid on e-bay for about $65.00. You can only do a partial change of the transmission fluid - to do the transmission and the transfer case takes 6 quarts. The front and rear differentials take a little less than 5 bottles of gear oil. I used Mobil 1 synthetic. Mobil 1 meets the specification listed in the manual (I think it is labeled 75/90) -- don't use the higher weight one. Both of mine have Limited Slip in the rear and the Mobil 1 does not require any additional LS additives. The Mobil 1 goes on sale around me for around $7 a bottle.

This is a messy job! My local mechanic did the differentials/ trans/ transfer/ engine oil and a simple coolant change for $150.00 labor. I provided all the fluids/ oils - including the 1 gallon Nissan coolant and distilled water.

The transmission fluid is changed by removing the drain plug in the pan -- you will need a new crush ring. The differentials by removing both plugs on the differentials -- make sure you open the fill plug on both first to make sure you can remove it. Otherwise you will drain the fluid and not be able to fill it back up!. The plugs can be a pain to remove -- that is why I had someone do it for me -- plus disposing of all the old fluids.

The AT fluid in the transfer case was a little nasty on both of mine: one has 58k and is new to me - the other has 140k and I am the original owner (never changed). The fluid in the differentials was as expected: I had changed it out on the one at 60k -- I believe the other to be original. Same for the transmission fluid -- condition as expected - mine had been changed at 60k.

I no longer play around with fluids: With so many different coolants and ATF's available -- I stick with the OE fluids. Most of the time you are not removing all of the old -- so I want the same fluid when I am mixing. The coolant cost me maybe $10.00 more and I lucked out on the e-bay ATF find. Don't believe all those who say "its all the same" it's not! If you plan on keeping the truck use the correct fluids.

I get my repair and maintenance parts from Pinnacle Nissan -- so I ordered the crush rings when I picked op some brake parts a while back. I get my filters and any other small stuff I may need at the time from them also. No more than the the auto stores and I know I have it and it will fit.

Good Luck

Last edited by yeldogt; 09-14-2011 at 12:17 AM.