View Single Post

Old 08-12-2011, 07:44 PM
2004 Altima

Default crankshaft position sensor harness

** first two paragraphs are prior to ckp harness connector replacement**
After replacing crank and cam sensors my car is still having stability issues. it may run beautiful for a couple miles then suddenly i'm pulling over with a misfire and flashing SES, or maybe it will just lose a lot of power, A/c, and get terrible with shifting properly. may crank right up, may take a bit. misfire could be gone after sitting a couple minutes. Roughness/ hesitation comes and goes while driving.
The crank sensor harness would not latch onto the sensor securely and i kept getting the speed sensor and crankshaft sensor DTCs. I also noticed when looking into it more that the crank harness had all 3 wires bare right at the plug, and the plug was pretty beat up. Cleaned connectors with QR electric cleaner and blew the oil out with compressed air, and tried to separated the bare wire with electric tape. Also swapped the two sensors, one fit into both holes better than the other. ( thats what she said) after cleaning and swapping it seemed better. while in park the SES light would blip on/off when revved a little.

-Today-
Car ran beautiful since swapping sensors and cleaning. although i only drove about 30 miles.
Took it to Nissan and got a replacement connector and they gave me the same one that is for for the cam. I questioned them to be sure it wasn't the green tabbed one i should have...***

Wired it up and connected it ( With the sensor bolted in!) and started it up, ran rough immediately and cooling fans turned on with varying speed even though my car was mostly cooled off by that point. Heard some clanking while it was idling, had to get to work so decided to see how it drove... hesitation cleared up mostly by the time i left my block. Had a little kick to go with it, almost seemed like a clogged exhaust clearing, i guess.

gonna go get a scanner hooked up now and see if anything popped up. SES light still blips when parked and revved.

-History
Sensors are BWM or BWS or something similar. New style.
Replaced plugs recently. Bosch plat 2
Tightened cyl 2 power valve screws which were loose.
Inspected cat, no holes on the inside as far as i could tell
Replaced pcv valve
Replaced TB
Misfire code is always cylinder 2, changing plug and swapping the boot and pack had no effect on this.
Used MAF sensor cleaner on MAF
Replaced O2 sensors
Keep up on regular maintenance
Coolant may be lower than its been, but not verified.
Oil looks fine in engine and trans, no big changes in levels or color.
Have been unable to identify a brown capacitor that sits with the ignition pack harness, unplugging makes no difference at idle, looks very beat up, cracked a bit at the bottom.