View Single Post

Old 07-15-2011, 04:45 PM
2003 Altima
2003 Altima

Default 2003 Altima 2.5L Battery and Brake Light

Hoping someone can help me with this because I'm stuck.

Saturday - Begin driving family out of town for a get-together. Battery light and Brake light both come on. The emergency brake wasn't on. So my wife broke out the owner's manual. We discovered the Brake light could indicate low brake fluid as well as the emergency brake being on and that the battery light could also indicate that the charging system was not working. I knew the brake fluid should be ok, because I had just recently performed a brake job on the car and topped off the brake fluid. I knew the battery was under a year old so I didn't think it was bad which led me to believe that either the serpentine belt was slipping or the alternator was going out on me. Pulled over at a gas station and checked the brake fluid - fine. Checked the belt - fine. Tried to drive away, and the car had no acceleration. Managed to get the car parked again, turned it off and tried to start it again - it wouldn't start. Got the car towed back to the house.

Sunday - Took battery to Auto Zone. They told me the battery was fine but it needed to be charged. Left it there for them to charge. Went back after an hour to pick it up, put it back in the car - car still won't start. In my experiences, the car should've started. This told me that something might be wrong with the battery. I took out my own battery charger and tried jumping it off. No luck. I then placed the battery on a trickle charge over night.

Monday - The next morning, I checked the charger and it gave me an indication that the battery needed to be desulfated. This process takes 24 hours for my charger to perform so I set it and checked it the next morning.

Tuesday - Still getting indicator that the battery needs to be desulfated. Took the battery back to AutoZone and explained that I had brought the battery in and they charged it and took it home and it didn't work. They replaced the battery as it was still under warranty. Took the new battery home and installed it. Car started right up. Still getting battery light and brake light. Ran an alternator check using my charger and it indicated that the alternator was bad. Drove the car up to AutoZone and had them test and confirm that it was bad.

Thursday - Got new alternator in the car. Had trouble getting the belt back on. Finished up Friday morning.

Friday - Got belt back on. Car started right up. No warning lights. Radio does not come on. After driving the car for a little bit, the battery light and the brake light come back on after having a brand new battery AND alternator installed in it. PLEASE HELP!!!!