View Single Post

Old 06-13-2011, 07:45 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1995 Maxima
2002 Altima
1997 Maxima GLE

To keep this from happening, always make sure there is a supply of coolant in the overflow reservoir; if it ever gets empty, it will suck in air into the system and you will have this problem.

Do a youtube search for a video for 2002 Altima and cooling system. Use keywords as radiator or no heat. There is a video on the procedure.

To do it, I first raise the front of the car, usually on ramps (or hill), about 2 feet, then I unbolt the overflow reservoir and hang it with a coat hanger from the hood (elevate it - make sure it has coolant in it). I then remove the radiator cap and use a large piece of bent wire (shaped like a U or V) inserted into the pressure relief valve of the cap and reinstall cap (make sure the wire is a tight fit and won't fall into radiator - do not use a paper clip, it must be bigger (coat hanger size will work). Start the car. Now, get the RPMs up above 2000 for short spurts, and you will see air escape to the reservoir. Do this several time for about 10 minutes. You will start feeling heat.

Turn off the car, remove the radiator cap (carefully), and remove the bent wire. Make sure the radiator is full of coolant. Replace cap, re-install the reservoir, make sure everything is back in place. Start car and you should have very hot air out of the vents. Drive it a bit and be sure.

If not, repeat until successful
2012 Altima (daughter - replaced 2002 with 8 miles, now with almost 30,000 miles)