View Single Post

Old 05-28-2011, 05:31 AM
2007 Altima

My 2007 Altima problems started with occasionally not being able to shift out of Park. Then it became constant. I had to unlock the shift lever every time to shift out of Park. Drove it this way for a couple of weeks. Then one morning at home it would not start. Engine would not crank.

Discovered that the starter was OK but the starter solenoid was not getting the 12 volt start signal. Stopped by the Nissan Dealer to ask the Service Manager about possibility of warranty coverage under the powertrain warranty. He asked if I had brake lights. Checked when I returned home and found that I did not. I removed the stop light switch. Pushed the button several times and checked it with a multi-meter. It appeared to be OK.

I put everything back together and started to remove personal items from the car in preparation for having it towed to the dealership. Decided to give it one last try at starting. Sat down, pressed brake pedal, pushed start button.......... it started. Repeated this about three times. It worked. I was a happy camper. Later I thought, "I should try the shift lever". Went back out, started the car ........ it shifted out of park.

Conclusion: Both shifting problem and starting problem caused by dirty switch contacts or poor connection in wiring connector at the stop light switch.

Last edited by jwells393; 05-28-2011 at 05:37 AM.