View Single Post

Old 02-11-2011, 06:38 AM
brantbingamon

Default getting the intake manifold off

Hi, I have a question that I hope someone can help with: I'm taking off the lower intake manifold on my 2000 Nissan Quest. I loosened (or tried to) the bolts in the proper sequence. The first and second put up a lot of resistance. The first I have loosened to the point that it's up beyond where the threads meet the head, but the bolt is just spinning now and I haven't been able to pull it up with pliers. The second bolt broke off immediately. The rest were much more reasonable and came up with no trouble.

I've removed all the various things I was supposed to remove to get the manifold up, except for the coolant bypass tube but there should be some play there because it's connected to a rubber hose. I've left it connected because there's a bolt in an inaccessible spot and I thought I would bring up the manifold and then remove it. But the problem is the manifold won't budge.

It should though. I'm assuming that even with the broken bolt and the other bolt being an inch up from the manifold, the manifold would come up some--the bolts don't thread onto the manifold itself so it should ride up the posts. I've hit it with a mallet and pried gently on it but I'm afraid to really go after it in case there's something else connecting it that I haven't destroyed yet.

Can anyone help me with this? Any thanks would be greatly appreciated!