View Single Post

Old 01-27-2011, 07:11 AM

2005 Pathfinder

I just finally rid my 05' of squeling belts and pulleys....quick test to see if its just the belt, is to spray it down with soapy water. If the squel stops, then you have a belt/pulley issue. If the squel is still there, then a bearing issue, most likely the tensioner assembly which is about $50 from Nissan, and fairly simple to swap out.

If its the belt/pulley...simply putting a new belt on will take the squel away for a week or so (trust me here). The problem is the pulleys get "glazed" over slightly, especially the small diameter ones (alternator being the smallest). When the belt is removed, I sprayed all my pulleys with brake cleaner, then used a stiff wire brush and ran it over as much of the pulleys as I could get to. Then spray again with brake cleaner to clean the crap off.

When that is done, spend the extra cash and get a "Gatorback" belt...skip the nissan one, or generic parts store ones....for an extra $10, get the gatorback. Installed on cleaned pulleys...my noise finally went away for good.

Good luck, took me a month and 2 belts to figure this one out.