View Single Post

Old 01-20-2011, 11:15 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Angry Engine Cranks But No Start

Hello again,

This is a follow up on my troubleshooting of my 2002 Altima of no start.

I've obtained the trouble codes with OBD II scanner. The trouble codes are P1610 and P1612. According to the Nissan's DTC code index these codes refers to the NATS (Nissan Anti Thefts System) Malfunction. We think the car is in lockdown mode because its not receiving signal from the transponder key or problem in the receiver.

This is new to me. I didn't know the key has a chip in it. Instead of getting a new key which will cost about $75 according to the locksmith. The dealership will probably cost twice as much. I will try to troubleshoot the transponder receiver and see if the malfunction is there. The locksmith said it is very, very rare that the chip in the key go bad.

If anyone has had experience on this issue, I appreciate it very much if you can share it here in the forum.

By the way, those who hasn't experienced a lost transponder key or key fob, they are very expensive. In the old days, we used to go Ace hardware or key shop and have our ignition key duplicated. Those days are gone.