View Single Post

Old 12-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Enthusiast
2004 Armada

Default roar

Those items, bearings etc., would produce, not a roar, but a
loud gear type noise.

I am beginning to think it is just your front tires. The tires on these cars do roar...it is not a quiet vehicle by any means, and the treads on the tires are an aggressive pattern for use with 4wd.

Hold old are your tires? Consider changing them to a milder tread.

Another thought is the transaxle ring gears. How many miles on this Armada.

I have to tell you , I have had many more problems than that with my Armada and will not buy another Nissan.

By the way a stethoscope is not just used by Doctors. It is frequently used by mechanics to pin point the location of sounds in the engine and other places. If they spun the wheel and used a stethoscope, it is not the wheel bearing on the wheel they checked.

The sound may be normal for your vehicle. The fan roars, the tires roar and you roar when you get your car payment bill.

Get yourself a Buick and be happy...like floating on a quiet cloud...and they handle well now too. The Chinese love them and 3 billion Chinese can't be wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchambers View Post
nisrjr: I had to laugh when I read your post. I am not totally convinced that it isn't still an issue with the wheel bearing. I have had passengers with me recently that have said that is what it sounds like to them but all agree that typically a bad bearing will always make the sound and would get worse or be mroe frequent. That is the one odd thing about this. I mean it is becoming more frequent now but you would think if it was bad it would be the majority of the time.

I have taken it back the dealership because there was an extended warranty which has only recently ran out. I have found a good mechanic that I am going to take it to and have him check all the things you have mentioned. Although I still feel like the dealership should take care of this problem since I have been reporting this problem for the past 50,000 miles. Let's face it.... I have no real way of knowing to what extent it was checked. They said they checked the wheel bearings with a stethascope (spelling???) but I think there has to be other ways to check it. Besides if it won't make the sound when they are checking it I am not sure what good a stethoscope would make, but obviously I am not a mechanic.

I know that it doesn't matter if my heat or a/c is running or not...sounds the same. I haven't moved my rack on top ever. I know I have no obstructions on the grill. I would think if there was a dead animal they would have found that or we could at least smell it. ha..ha... don't know about the fan sensor (although they just replaced some sensor this last week, some recall....) hood bonnet??? I don't know what that is? Do you mean the actual hood??? I know that my hood latch had to be adjusted a couple or three years ago but it rattled. Not the same sound.

The sound is coming from the front and I still think it is something bearing, axle, something like that. Again though.... I will continue to update this site as the ghost hauntings continue and report whether my findings of a ghostbuster/mechanic are successful.