View Single Post

Old 12-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Enthusiast
2004 Armada

Default roaring./..new idea

Hi, Dec 19, 2010. I have a new idea for you. After reading these several posts I have come to the conclusion that the roaring you are hearing is not in the mechanical part of the vehicle...it is external. So :

1. Check the roof rack. Do you have anything on it. Have you moved the roof rack cross bars? Put them in different positions and see whether this helps you out. The air rushing through the roof rack bars can make a roar.

2. Check the hood bonnet. Is it closing properly, front and back? If not, have the closing mechanism in front adjusted.

3. Check, in the engine compartment, the 4 inch hose duct which goes to the rear of the air cleaner housing. Has it come loose? Make sure the air cleaner hosing is tight.

4. Put the truck up on the lift and check underneath for stuck items in the suspension, such as dead animals, pieces of plastic, paper boxes, coats, shirts or materials stuck in the undercarriage.

5. Have the weather stripping around all doors checked to see that they are properly placed.

6. Check for a leaking exhaust manifold gasket or a leaking exhaust system joint or gasket. Check catalytic converter for holes .

7. Check for obstructions in the grill, at front.

8. CHeck the fan sensor to be sure that the radiator fan is not coming on electrically at the wrong time.

9. Finally, check the heater system. A heater door may be stuck or its
servo motor broken and the roar may be an obstruction in the heater duct.
Does the roar sound the same whether or not the heater is on or off. Does it change when you increase the heater fan speed?

10. If it isn't any of the things I mentioned in my two e mails,
then face it.....your truck is haunted by ghosts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchambers View Post
Possibly. I started hearing mine when my car had approximately 22,000 miles. It was so sporadic, and as I have said in earlier posts only when the roads were wet or had some moisture. It has done this until recently. I now have 78,000 miles and I am hearing it on dry surfaces and much more frequently. Oddly though, in the last couple of weeks I am hearing the sound between 35 to 50 mph and it seems to stop when I go faster, which is totally opposite of before.

Have your tires checked though. I am assuming you have done this, check the balance and the alignment? You easily could have knock it out of balance, again if you weren't hearing the noise before.

In this case with my most recent visit to the Nissan dealership they say they even called Nissan to find out if they had other compliants for this problem and they offered no solutions, suggestions, etc.

Remember too.... mine is a loud roaring noise, not a wom, wom, wom noise (which also reminds me of the sound you can get with a bad tire or out of balance. I never really feel any vibration either. Mine is really this roar which typically gets louder and higher pitched as I go faster.

I am sure you have read recent posts where the dealerhip told me that it was me driving in 4 wheel auto (which is so not the case). Someone else posted to this site several things that should be checked. Within a couple of days I took it back to the dealership and told them to keep the car until they found it. After a couple of days and checking those items listed they say all checks out fine, and that although they have now heard the noise (which for years they say they could never duplicate) that until they can get the noise to happen more frequently or for longer periods they cannot pin point the cause and that they don't want to start replacing things such as bearings, etc and be on a wild goose chase. The difference between are auto though is that I have never hit anything whereas you bumped into the curb. If you didn't hear this noise before but you do now I would not accept the dealers response about it being normal. You know that your car did not make this sound before and now it does. I believe it has to have to something to do with what repairs they have made.