View Single Post

Old 12-12-2010, 08:27 PM
2010 Altima
1997 Altima

Works for the push-button type:

-----------------------------from nicoclub forum---------------------
push the ignition from OFF to ON
the air bag warning light will appear for about 7 seconds and turns off.
then push igniition switch OFF immediately.
after ignition switch is turned OFF, wait for about 6 seconds.
after you REPEAT THE PROCEDURE 3 TIMES, push the ignition switch ON, this time the *SRS* (airbag) warning light has been reset.
step on the brake and push the button to start the car. turn the ignition off and start the car. Hope this will help. I did this procedure to my car and it works.
---------------------------------

Seems to work even for push-button systems. Tap twice to "on," wait until the SRS light turns off, then shut down (push button again) quickly. Waiting longer than 6 or 7 seconds (I counted to 14-one-thousand) may be safer. Do the procedure 3 times (or was it 4 total?), start the car (push button with brake depressed), turn it off, and then turn it back to "on" (double tap without pressing brake). The SRS light should be blinking in a different pattern. This means you've reached diagnostic mode (GOOD SIGN). Press the brake and start the car, and the light should go off after the 7 second test-timer. I'm about to go out to make sure it stays off.

PS: On another forum, for Nissan Sentras of an earlier year, someone did mention turning the car to on with the door open and then pressing the door switch (rubber button on the door frame, close to the latch) several times. It did seem to reset the car computer (wipers going off and lights flashing), but didn't cause the SRS to enter diagnostic mode. The mentioned method works for late-model altimas (at least my 2010 Altima 2.5).