View Single Post

Old 10-25-2010, 04:24 PM
earlofrose

Default describe more about this solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch8010 View Post
I have exactly the same problem. Can you describe more about this solution with a magnet? Do you have to take the instrument cluster out. Magnet applied to the front or back of the gauge? How do you get it close enough with the plastic cover on the front of the gauge. My needle looks plastic, to what is the magnet applied to? Thanks so much for saving a trip to the dealer.
I'm not sure what part of the needle is magnetic, but you can see it react to even a fairly small magnet. Just rub the magnet against the plastic cover on the front of the gauge near the needle and you can see the needle wiggle. I used a magnet toy I have at work that's used to stack little metal people up to.

To get the needle to flip over, I did have to purchase a magnet strong enough. I got a craftsman telescoping magnet similar to this one.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Once I had a magnet powerful enough, it flipped over in seconds. Keep in mind that due to the polarity of the magnet and needle, you may have "push" the needle rather than "pull" it.

Hope this helps. Good luck.