View Single Post

Old 09-29-2010, 10:57 PM
annesjn

EatShark, the MAF is on the side and has four pin connector and the sensor is a box on a circular metal housing. The one on the top of the duct will make it stall but is not the MAF. (I forget what that part is, I think it is a three pin connector). The one on the side of the filter box is 2 pin and is the air temp sensor and won't make it stall.

I had similar issue as OP on my 96 Altima. It started one day in the morning and got real bad by the end of the day. The car was not very drivable. It would stall when accelerating at a stop light, sometimes at idle and would take much longer to start. It didn't seem to matter if the car was hot or cold. My plugs were all fouled out and I could smell gas in my exhaust. I had two codes, one for the knock sensor and one for the rear O2 sensor. The rear O2 sensor was pegged rich. I checked the TPS resistance and it was ok. I checked the fuel pressure regulator and no problems. I took it into a shop and they told me it was a crankshaft position sensor, but also cleaned the MAF and throttle plate and plugs. They told me the CKP was bad and I still needed to replace the TPS and O2 sensor. Apparently they didn't actually test the CKP because I asked for the old one back and tested it and the resistance was right in the center 500ohms. The new one they put in was like 680ohms, ~140ohms out of tollerence. $210 for nothing!

So I started checking the TPS voltages, all ok, 0.4V at idle and ~4V full throttle. Finally I unplugged the MAF sensor and drove it a bit. It was in limp mode so the RPMs never went above ~2500 but it did not stall . So tomorrow I will check the MAF voltage just to double check it is really bad, then take the CPK back to the shop and throw it in their face. The MAF voltage (smaller orange wire) should be 1-1.7 Volts at idle and increase at higher RPMs but should not go above 4 Volts. If it goes above 4V it is bad and if it doesn't change with changing RPMs, it is bad. (FYI - These voltages are different for 95 and older models.)

Hope this helps.