View Single Post

Old 09-28-2010, 07:44 PM
kjmc

Default P0420 catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1

Ok, so I replaced my exhaust(pipes, converter, Rear o2 Sensor, Muffler) after road debris ripped out my old o2 sensor. All the flanges were crumbling and there were holes,.....everything was replaced.

I cleared the check engine light by leaving my batt lead disconnected overnight. Then I take the car on a business trip for ~3 weeks. I drive a total of 1000 miles before my CEL comes on, on my way back home. 400 miles straight ride down, 400 miles straight ride back, daily driving adding up to ~200 miles. It read the code above. I was going to get it inspected the following day but fat chance of it passing now.

I have a 96 Sentra GXE.

I know some driving is required for the ECM to run all its tests. Would it take ~1000 miles to accomplish this efficiency test? Or was it good, then something caused it to fail. Just wondering if the CAT I put in or 02 sensor never worked or it did and something happened.

I bought bosch parts. Except for my O2 sensor which was...W...something.

I did notice that my exhaust smells a bit rich. Can a tune up adjust this? I didn't adjust anything in the engine, just replaced the exhaust. How can I test the O2 sensor? The cat converter, without having a new one put in?

Could the "richness" have coated up the converter and sensor throwing off the readings? Can I clean it?

30 days until my tags expire.

Thanks,

Kevin