View Single Post

Old 04-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Default Cable and Gear Issue

I had a chance to check this out tonight....

The cable never moves down below with the temperature control dial. It appears that the cable is disconnected at the lever up top at the HVAC control head.

I saw the TSB about that, so I will take things apart to have a look. It looks like the "C" cluster piece around the HVAC is easy (already had it off). Does the large trim piece around the radio just pull out? It seems that the radio has to come out to remove the HVAC control. Do these radios have "theft lock" or anything like that? (GM cars ofter do).

I was able to manually rotate the gear fully in one direction and I had AC to beat the band :). I checked multiple times---moving the temperature control dial doesn't move the cable or gears down below.

Have you guys done any work on these L31 Altimas with regard to that bulletin? What did you typically find?

Thanks again for everyone's help. I also changed the air filter and cabin filter (both dirty) this evening, so that's done. (Car is up for state inspection in May....).

I have to get a pivot pin for the glovebox, one is missing.

Also, on this TSB, what's the difference between the "A/C control" and the "temperature control lever". I attached the bulletin. I don't think by A/C control they are referring to the whole dash unit, because they talk about a procedure for replacement there.

Both of them look like (from the picture), the same thing. What I found disconnected/not working is at the bottom of the HVAC control unit when it's installed in the car. I can actually feel that the cable end is disconnected
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2009-10-24_132955_NTB06-070.pdf (468.1 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by Ponchoguy; 04-10-2010 at 05:26 AM.