View Single Post

Old 03-10-2010, 09:48 AM
2002 Frontier King Cab
2002 Frontier King Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by xterramexico05 View Post
i found this procedure for 2002 nissans..
1) Drive the car to "warm up" temperature. Make sure your idle is close to 700 rpm.
2) Ensure any battery draining devices are off. Ie. headlights, interior dome lights, HVAC, stereo.
3) Turn the car ignition key to "OFF"
4) Wait ten seconds
5) Turn the key to "ON" (not start)
6) Wait three seconds.
7) Perform the following five times in five seconds or less. Fully press the gas pedal and release.
8) Wait seven seconds from last of the five releases.
9) Fully press the gas pedal and hold down. Within ten seconds the "Service Engine Soon" light should begin to blink.
10) Wait another ten seconds (while still holding the gas pedal) and the "Service Engine Soon" light should stop blinking.
11) As soon as it stops blinking, release the pedal, start the car and check the idle (should still be around 700 rpm)
12) Let the car idle at 700 rpm or so for about 25 seconds, rev the engine a few times and then let it return to idle.
13) Shut the car down.

sea foam is not snake oil... it cleans the carbon deposits on your engine...
Well, I read that Seafoam use may have fouled the plugs, as stated above; so I replaced them last night. Engine ran well immediately while cold, but after a test drive around the block, it stalled again in the driveway. During the test drive, I kept it running in 1st gear, but I could tell that it wanted to die around 3-4000 RPM. So I thought it might need a fuel filter. I changed it, and again, it improved, but still stalling without warning.
This morning I attempted to go to work with it, but after 7 miles it stalled again, right next to a auto service shop. I turned it in to them, and after a couple of hours they called me back with the verdict: It has a bad MAF sensor; they would order it and finish the work in a couple of days, for the princely sum of $672, parts and labor!
I hope they troubleshot it right. I did not want to take it to Nissan for fear of really getting raped for this job. The shop says that Nissan would have changed the entire throttle body along with the sensor for a much bigger tab, while they can get just the sensor and fix it much cheaper.
Any feedback from you master mechanics is welcome, and thanks for your tips, so far.
Val Barone