View Single Post

Old 09-20-2009, 06:04 AM
2005 Xterra

My experience with the engine noise with my 05 Xterra with 65,000 mi (out of warrantee) went like this, I called a couple of local dealerships in the area, I described the noise, the Nissan Service Bulletin, and asked how much it would cost to do the repair. Town Center Nissan in Kennesaw, Georgia told me it would cost approximately $2,150 to accomplish the S.B, and Regal Nissan in Roswell, GA estimated the repair at $1500. I then called Nissan Customer Affairs (1-800-NISSAN1) and in a calm/diplomatic way told them how I felt about my “just out of warrantee” Xterra requiring a $2,150 repair that Nilsson knew was a problem. The very helpful representative documented my complaint and all the information over the phone and suggested I bring my vehicle to one of their dealerships. Knowing I was going to have to have the work done either way I called the Regal Nissan service department back and told them I had talked to Nissan Customer Affairs. Regal Nissan asked for the Customer Affairs ticket number and told me they would get back with me after they had a chance to talk to their regional manager and Nissan. A couple of days later I received a phone call from Regal Nissan informing me the repair was going to be covered and asked me when I could bring it in. Some factors that may have resulted in the outcome of all this could have been, we were the original owners and purchased the Xterra form Regal Nissan and we had the dealership do the regular oil changes. I’m not sure, I didn’t ask. I am of coarse very happy with the way my situation turned out and with the way Nissan stood behind their product. Kudos also go out to Regal Nissan for taking such good care of us. We did have the serpentine belt and tensioner replaced while it was there and paid for that, but that type of maintenance is expected and understandable.
I wish anyone going through this luck. I didn’t know what the outcome was going to be until I actually got the phone call notifying me Nissan was going to cover all the parts and labor. Be persistent and patient.
NTB07-042a
ALL NISSAN MODELS WITH VQ ENGINE; BUZZING / WHINING NOISE FROM TIMING CHAIN AREA

Last edited by TRD; 09-20-2009 at 06:16 AM.