View Single Post

Old 09-08-2009, 05:59 PM
1998 Pathfinder

Good evening to all,

I have been reading most of posts regarding the Knock sensor issue on Nissan vehicles and considering the how difficult (not to mention the cost) it is to replace the Knock sensor on some Nissan models, I have made up my mind to do the relocation.

I have a 98 Nissan Pathfinder XE and I'm getting a P0325 error code (just this one code), plus I'm getting about 10 mpg in the city ...I know that a pathfinder is not the most fuel efficient vehicle but 10 mpg is terrible.

I have also been reading some posts made by expert Nissan mechanics that say that Nissan Knock sensors very rarely get damaged; that most of the times the problem is the electrical connectors and electrical wires used by Nissan, they say that these things become corroded thus causing a bad connection, hence the error code.

They also go on to say that most of the times if you use contact cleaner to clean the contact points and adjust the plugs making sure that the connection is correct, then the error code will dissapear.

Well in my case, during this past weekend I not only cleaned the contacts and connectors where the Knock sensor wires are connected, I also cleaned the 2 other the all of the contacts found in the other 2 plugs that are next to the the knock sensor plug.

Actually all 3 plugs fell apart when I disconnected them, looks like the plastic had become brittle from the heat in the engine compartment, but was able to make a good connection using electrical tape and I also placed a small amount of di-electric grease to protect everything.

To make a long story short, I'm still getting the P0325 code (yes I had erased the code from the ECU)...Soooo, I'm going to change the Knock sensor...I do have some questions :

1- I can only locate one of the wires, the white insulated wire but not the clear insulated one. Does anyone know if on a pathfinder the wire colors are different and if they are, can someone please tell me the colors?

2- Has anyone had any experience with the Knock sensors sold on ebay? they have some sensors made in Japan, they even come with the Nissan loco or sticker on the bag and they cost about US$ 45.00 ..the price is very tempting.

3- Has anyone had any problems after the Knock sensor relocation??

Any help you guys can give will be greatly appreciated since I would like to do the relocation this weekend.