View Single Post

Old 06-29-2009, 08:38 AM
Klypr

Default 2006 Xterra Transmission Issue

I have a 2006 Nissan Xterra with 70k miles on it and the transmission started giving me some problems about 5-7k miles ago.

The best way to describe the issue is it feels like you're running over a rumble strip when the A/T shifts up. It usually only happens when traveling over 50mph but in a few rare cases I've felt it while going about 35mph. I think it only happens when overdrive is on but it's hard to tell since the tachometer is well over 4000RPM with OD off and going 50-60 on the highway. I checked the A/T fluid and the level is fine. It's a little dark but to the best of my knowledge, nothing out of the ordinary considering it's high mileage. It's not cloudy at all but I did notice a small piece of grit at the end of the dipstick the first time I pulled it out although, after multiple checks I did not see any more.

I was going to flush the tranny to see if that would help but I have never done that before and the dealer is asking $150. A little steep just to see if it would work. I do have the service manual and am sure I could do it correctly if enough people think it would fix the problem but my concern is that I would need a new torque converter which is something I definitely would not think I could do myself. Forking $150 for a flush and then probably another $500 for a new converter would seriously grind my gears (pun intended).

Another thing I noticed it doing is it seems like the engine brake does not always work correctly. Instead of staying in gear coasting down hill, it has downshifted a few times forcing the engine to redline. I can turn this off in the ECM but figured it may have something to do with the upshift problem and may help diagnose it. This has only just started happening recently.

So what do you think the issue is? Bad fluid? Bad torque converter? Something else?