View Single Post

Old 05-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast

2001 Nissan Maxima

Question Fuel Filter Replacement in a 2001 Maxima

I recently have gotten fancy and gotten an ELM OBDII interface to use with my laptop and free OBD software. I put it on my mom's Maxima to see if I could figure out a slight hesitation or maybe even half-second bog down before it thrusts forward on a pedal stomp. Its only got 52k miles on it.

The software showed (at idle) a lean mixture at full warm temp. Am I supposed to see Lean mixture at idle? or is this a clue that fuel filter is clogged?

This only happened once, but one time just after getting gas from nearly an empty tank we got on the road and gave the pedal a moderate stomp to get up to 55 on the state hwy and it nearly killed. Has not happened since then, but I really believe because this car is so wonderful and has no other problems that the fuel filter is clogging from sitting so much.

I look up the fuel filter procedures and I don't think the manual for it is on this web site's knowledge base and a lot of the service procedures say to let a tech do it and that its not supposed to have to be done.... well... BS. I know better.

So where is the fuel filter and is there anything special I have to know about replacing it?

What do ya'll think about it running Lean at idle with so few miles on it and no other engine troubles whatsoever?