View Single Post

Old 03-24-2009, 05:10 PM
richyrich

Default 2004 idle stalls at start up; will idle ok if hit gas at start up???

2004 maxima stalls after turning the key. It will not hold idle after letting go of the key. If I press the gas and blip the rpms after turning the car then it will idle perfectly at 700 rpms. Does not stall at any other time.

When turning the key normally (not pressing the gas) the rpms jump up as they should and then drop down to a low idle and then stalls. If I hit the gas before it stalls then it goes to perfect idle. This has me stumped. The only thing that was done recently was replace a bad battery. Please, help. Thanks.

Addition: After this post I: reset the idle; reset the throttle position; reset the pedal position; did the idle air volume learning and cleaned the mass air flow sensor with a spray I bought specifically made for cleaning the sensor.

Nothing worked. Any ideas anybody. Is there another sensor or part I should be checking. One other point. On the first start of the day (an engine cold start) the car start just fine. After driving around town and starting the engine back up is when it does this. I know when the engine is cold there is compensation for this. I notice the rpms hold at 1000 after starting and then drop down to a 700 idle in a few minutes. I know this and what controls this must have something to do with it. Guidance please.

Last edited by richyrich; 03-25-2009 at 12:27 PM.