View Single Post

Old 01-18-2009, 01:21 PM
2005 Frontier Crew Cab
2006 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdavisiv View Post
My 2005 Frontier with 76K miles began making the same noise. Dealer quoted $1800.00 to repair, which included replacing the primary timing chain, tensioners, guides, water pump, etc. while they were in there. Called Nissan Good Will Line (1-800-Nissan1) and will have the word as far as assistance on the repair by 5:00 tomorrow. I believe they know this is an obvious design flaw and should hopefully provide some assistance. Nissans are unfortunately not the quality vehicles they used to be. After 2 defective crankshaft position sensors (which left me on the side of the road), a defective fuel sending unit and now this, I believe my Nissan days are over. I will update when my "ruling" from Nissan is in. Good luck.......
Update: Nissan NA came through on the parts with a decision in <24 hrs.(including extra timing parts and water pump not covered in the TSB), I had to pay for the labor. The dealership showed me the defective part(s). Apparently the nylon tensioner was cast improperly resulting in a hollow center rather than a solid piece. The chain would wear down to the hollow portion and then begin grinding on the metal "rivet" which attached the nylon to the metal. That’s where the noise is coming from. The problem is now fixed. Dealership was great as they gave me a loaner to drive and had it fixed in two days. Don't look for a recall. Apparently Nissan for the most part only issues those when there is a safety issue. Phone call saved me over $800, so it was worth it.