View Single Post

Old 11-12-2008, 07:29 AM

2003 Altima 2.5 SL

Default Altima 2.5 Engine Replacement?

Hi, I just had my service engine light come on for my 2003 Nissan Altima so I went to the dealer and I now learned I need new cats and an engine. I was told it will be about 5 grand for a refurbished engine.

I was looking back on posts here and see that others have had similar problems. Is there a recall for this? My dealer didn't advise me of any and of course it's way out of warranty (185 000 km). Did anyone contact Nissan Customer Service and have any luck with them? Would anyone by chance have the email address for Nissan Canada Public Relations?

The car seems to be running fine but I read on here to check the oil frequently until I get it properly fixed. Did anyone try any other route such as getting a used engine or getting their engine rebuilt?

I've enjoyed the vehicle and have only had one serious prior problem which was getting the solenoid pack in the transmission fixed. I've been getting my vehicle serviced regularily at the dealer and have to say I'm a little surprised they didn't check the cats when I was in for service knowing what a serious problem it could lead to. I was just there 5 weeks ago so could the cat break down that fast? I wish I had read about the cat issues here before. This is a great forum to learn from.